CFP: Limitations and Adaptations: Negotiating Aesthetics, Power, and Positionality
I am happy to share the call for papers for the 12th joint student folklore conference organized by the students at Indiana University and the Ohio State University. Save the date and get your plans together to attend in Bloomington.
Limitations and Adaptations: Negotiating Aesthetics, Power, and Positionality
Twelfth Annual IU/OSU Student Folklore Conference
February 22–23, 2019
The Indiana University Folklore Student Association, in collaboration with the Folklore Student Association at the Ohio State University, invites submissions for the twelfth annual Indiana University / Ohio State University student folklore conference to be held in Bloomington, Indiana on February 22–23, 2019. We welcome proposals from folklore, ethnomusicology, and related disciplines. Presenters are encouraged to submit proposals related to the conference theme of “Limitations and Adaptations.” Some questions to consider could include the following:
- What limits do people face in vernacular cultural production? How are these limits formed or identified? What are the power structures behind them?
- How do limits shape artistic production?
- How do people use vernacular cultural production to transcend limits/barriers or to adapt to change/oppression?
- Does adaptation create or take place in a liminal space?
- How do people adapt to limitations cross-culturally?
- How might researchers be limited by factors such as identity, language, and environment? What impact might these limits have on selection, collection, or transmission of research?
- What is the role of the researcher in either adhering to or pushing back against limitations? Is your project overcoming limitations in some way?
Proposals for papers, posters, roundtables, panels, workshops, and other formats are welcome. All presenters should write a 250-word abstract of their presentations. Prearranged or collective sessions should additionally include a session title, 250-word session abstract, and list contacts for all members of the panel/roundtable, if relevant.
All submissions will be due via google forms by December 30, 2018.
Submission link: https://goo.gl/forms/AX0ngluMRtgLcZZy2
Housing form: https://goo.gl/forms/FnaiT2R7nLOnPMhV2
For additional questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.